Ramadan Kareem All!!
Here is a healthy meal idea for Iftaar tomorrow night!
This is a great make ahead recipe and it will store well in your refrigerator for those busy weekdays when you are in a rush, so you can spend time praying and talking to your children instead of going crazy about what to cook for the Iftaar.
For Making The Meatballs (koftas)
(you could use minced goat/lamb/chicken as per your preference)
To prepare the koftas, first clean meat in cold running water and drain very well, so there is absolutely no water remaining.
Mix all the above ingredients and make the meat balls with hands.
(I have a large 10 cup food processor, so i just use that to mix everything.)
- 1Heat oil on medium-high heat in a dutch oven or sauce pan.
- 2Add the Tempering Spices and cook for about 30 seconds taking care not to burn the spices.
- 3Add onion, garlic, ginger, tomato paste, cayenne pepper, turmeric, garam masala, salt and black pepper. Mix well and cook until the Sauce browns, should take 15-20 minutes on medium-high heat. (Sprinkle some water, while stirring if the sauce sticks to the pan.)
- 4Mix in the Almond Flour, if using and stir well.
- 5Add the meatballs and stir gently, taking care not to break the meatballs.
- 6Add water to get the desired consistency.
- 7Cook on medium high heat until the sauce boils and the meatballs cook thoroughly, about 20-30 minutes.
- 8Finish with heavy cream and cilantro.
- 9Eat with a side of steamed vegetables.