This Chicken Do Pyaza recipe is loaded with onions, garlic, ginger and spices. And like all my recipes this may be the easiest you will find on the interwebs. You may have seen the name “Do Pyaza” used with a variety of meats at an Indian restaurant menu. “Pyaz” is the Hindi word for Onion. Do-Pyaza literally means double the onion, in the recipe. There you have it- A chicken curry cooked in lots and lots of Onion! And No discourse on the health benefits of onion today. Recipe being served straight up.
First step to making the Chicken Do Pyaza is to marinade the Chicken. Here is how.
Marinate the chicken night before or at least 2 hours prior to cooking. Or if you are a weekend meal prepper, marinate all your protein on weekends. Here is everything you need.
- A Large Whole chicken cut into (16-20) pieces. But if you are not a whole chicken kind of person, then get another cut of bone-in chicken, such as chicken thighs about 3 lbs.
- Ginger fresh grated – 2 Tpsp
- Garlic chopped fine – 1/4 cup
- Whole Milk yogurt – 1 cup
- Turmeric – 2 tbsp
- Cayenne pepper powder – 1 tbsp (or a little less if you are not into spices)
- Coriander Powder – 2 Tbsp
- Garam masala powder – 1 tbsp
- Juice of 1 fresh lemon
- Salt and Pepper – To Taste
How to marinate the chicken?
First of all, Wash and drain the chicken in a colander and set aside to drain properly. In a large tray or mixing bowl, mix all of the marinade ingredients. And finally add the chicken and apply the marinade on all of the pieces. Refrigerate. or Freeze if saving this for cooking during the week.
Now to actually make the Chicken Do Pyaza, here is everything you will need.
- lots of chopped Onions – 2-3 lbs
- (Optional) 3-4 Green chilly peppers – Thinly sliced
- 3-4 bay leaves, 1 large cinnamon stick, (Optional) 1 Tbsp Caraway Seeds
- 1 pinch of asafetida (optional)
- 1 Tbsp Garam Masala
- (Optional) 2 Tbsp Tomato Paste
- (Optional) 1/4 cup Dry Coconut Powder
- Olive oil – 2 Tbsp
- Salt and Black Pepper – to taste
- Cilantro chopped finely – 1 cup
And finally cook the curry this way.
- If in the freezer, Remember to Take out the chicken from the freezer and put it in the refrigerator the night before. Or let it defrost outside on the counter for 4-6 hours until you are ready to cook it.
- Heat a large pan or wok, add olive oil.
- Next Add asafetida, add bay leaf, cinnamon stick, and caraway seeds.
- Next add onions, Salt, Pepper, and Green chili Peppers. Stir and cook about 5-10 minutes until onions are translucent and start to turn slightly pink.
- Add marinated chicken and mix everything. Cook on medium-low heat covered. Stir the chicken every 5 minutes or so to prevent burning. And to allow even cooking on all sides.
- Takes about additional 10-15 minutes for the chicken to cook. At this time open the Lid, add tomato paste and coconut powder, and mix. Let cook until the extra liquid evaporates so you get the dry consistency of the Chicken Do Pyaza.
- In the end, Garnish with cilantro and mix well.
- Enjoy on top of steamed rice. Or these Whole grain Tortillas. Remember to warm up the Tortilla before serving!
- I also eat it mixed in this Lentil Barley Soup Recipe aka Haleem’ish.
Have you wanted to eat delicious food like these and still be able to lose weight?
Do you have a desk job? You sit at your desk all day and the job stresses you out. You follow through with a cycle of stress eating the first thing you get your hands on. If you want to finally lose all your excess weight and keep it off forever – without giving up great food, without sweating in the gym. Download this free ebook to learn How to start losing your “computer belly” without counting calories, dieting OR sweating in the gym.
Hear the chicken joke at 29 seconds of this cute and adorable video!
Jerry Seinfeld Experiment: Don’t break the chain. Post #91