This delicious Kale Mustard Stir fry with Indian Spices also known as Sarson ka Saag is a delicious super green powerhouse. Like all of my ramblings around here, you will have to learn all about glucosinolates and the health benefits of kale and mustard greens before you could get to the recipe. Sarson ka Saag is typically made with Spinach and Mustard greens, but we will be making this with Kale and Mustard instead. The recipe in itself is easy but how can I not convince you first of all why you should even eat the Kale and Mustard at all.
I am not playing doctor. Any advice you read on this blog cannot be used as a substitute for professional medical advice. If you are experiencing a health condition please reach out to a qualified healthcare professional. I repeat, do not use this blog as medical advice to treat yourself or others.
Health benefits of Kale and Mustard Greens
As per this study, Kale is an excellent source of vitamin C, vitamin A, lutein and glucosinolates. Lutein is beneficial for your eyes. And glucosinolates boost your metabolism and prevent inflammation. According to this study, Mustard greens are loaded with glucosinolates, also vitamin A, lutein. And you get all of this good without the harmful oxalates that are present in Spinach. Read more about Health Benefits of Spinach here.
Ingredients for Kale Mustard Stirfry:
1 bunch of greens usually weighs 7-8 Oz. So this recipe is for 1 bunch of kale and 1 bunch of Mustard greens. About 14 oz of greens. Even if the kale and mustard has been pre-washed, wash it again. These greens are notoriously loaded with grit and dirt. If it has not been pre-washed, wash it may be 4-5 times in your largest utensil or sink.
- Kale leaves 1 bunch wash and chop
- Mustard Greens 1 bunch wash and chop
- Ginger – 2 inch piece
- Garlic – 1/4 cups
- Onions chopped – 2 cup
- Green chilies – 5-6 (Optional)
- Pinch of Asafetida.
- Cumin Seeds. – 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
- Cayenne pepper powder – 1/2 tsp. (Avoid if you cannot eat spicy)
- Coriander powder – 1 tsp
- Olive oil 2 tablespoons
- Salt and Pepper to taste
Here is how you cook your Kale Mustard Stir Fry:
- Heat olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add a pinch of asafoetida, cumin seeds and mustard seeds when the oil is hot.
- Now add ginger, garlic, and onion and sauté for two to three minutes until the onion becomes slightly translucent.
- Add salt, turmeric powder, cayenne pepper powder, and coriander powder and mix well.
- Add green chilies, kale, and mustard greens to the pan and stir.
- Let it cook over medium-high heat covered till the greens turn soft, about 10-15 minutes.
- (Optional step) Let it cool and grind to a coarse paste using an immersion blender.
- Serve with these whole-grain tortillas, or paleo coconut wraps, or rotis, with a dollop of butter on top.
Another variation of this kale mustard stir fry recipe is this on made with Spinach Recipes – Green Curry Sauce
Want a recipe for my secret breakfast drink to get lean in 21 days? Learn more here – Melt Away Every Last lb of Fat. Become Lean in as little as 21 days with This One Trick.
Jerry Seinfeld Experiment: Don’t break the chain. Post #94
And here is an excerpt from Charlotte’s Web by E.B.White. Lots of learning in this one little excerpt. If you have not read the book, may be you should get a copy from the library.
Backstory – Charlotte has to save her friend Wilbur, the Pig from becoming Christmas dinner. Its already Summer, and she patiently meditates for an idea to come to her.
Finally, one morning toward the middle of July, the
idea came. “Why, how perfectly simple! ” she said to
herself. “The way to save Wilbur’s life is to play a
trick on Zuckerman.
If I can fool a bug," thought Charlotte, "I can surely fool a man. People are not as smart as bugs."
Wilbur walked into his yard just at that moment.
“What are you thinking about, Charlotte?” he asked.
“I was just thinking,” said the spider, “that people
are very gullible.”
“What does ‘gullible’ mean?”
“Easy to fool,” said Charlotte.
“That’s a mercy,” replied Wilbur, and he lay down
in the shade of his fence and went fast asleep.