Not everyone is a fan of lentils.
Do you know why?
Because they haven't tasted the perfect daal that would suit their tastebuds.
Here, we present a yummy, spiced-up recipe for a healthy lentil soup to make you fall in love with such a healthy food item.
- 1(Optional Step) Wash and soak lentils in water (and some lemon juice and baking soda). I do this with all my lentils and beans because it gets rid of harmful phytic acid from lentils and beans. Secondly, it also helps cook these faster when using a pot, dutch oven or slow cooker.
- 2Wash and add the split peas (or lentil/ daal) to pressure cooker with enough water (about 3 cups), garlic, turmeric, salt, jalapeno (or green chilies), and amchoor powder.
- 3Bring to high pressure, turn off and wait for natural pressure release.
[if no pressure cooker you could also use pot/dutch oven/slow cooker - cook until lentils are completely cooked]
- 4Check the consistency and add water as needed. When Eating with Roti (flatbread), I keep the consistency slightly thicker. When eating as a soup by itself, I add another cup or so of water. You will get the hang of it by trying a few times.
For tempering, heat butter/ghee in a pan over medium/high heat and add asafoetida, cumin, dried red chilies. Once everything splutters and turns brown, carefully add to the lentil and close the lid.
- 5Add cilantro and serve in a bowl as a soup or with your hot rotis, flatbreads, or tortillas.