The Desi Chicken - Real Game Hen, not the commercially raised monstrosity sold in the supermarkets.
Here is a recipe for the real free-range chicken that has grown up naturally, eating worms outdoors and not fed growth hormones to fatten up.
It takes longer to cook but the meat is delicious and the taste is to die for ...well yea don't die.. live to eat more of this.
Ingredients For The Marinade:
- 1Wash and dry the chicken thoroughly and then mix in all the ingredients for marinade and let it marinate for 1 hour (or in the freezer for up to 48 hours.)
- 2Take out the chicken from the freezer and let it defrost for 4-6 hours until you are ready to cook.
- 3In a large thick bottomed pan, add olive oil and turn on medium-high heat.
- 4Once the oil is hot, add asafetida. Immediately add bay leaf, cinnamon stick, and shah zeera.
- 5Add onion paste and cook until it is browned and oil is separated.
- 6Add marinated chicken, mix well and cook for about 30 minutes*** - 1 hour until the chicken is cooked through. Keep stirring every 10 minutes or so and add 1/2 cup water if the chicken is drying out. (alternatively if cooking this kind of chicken in IP or pressure cooker, it may be much faster, but I haven’t tried yet so cannot advise on timings. It certainly will take longer than your average supermarket chicken)
- 7Once chicken is cooked through garnish with cilantro and serve with a side of 1/3 cups of steamed rice or low carb flatbread, roti or tortillas
*** On a side note you could cook this with your supermarket chicken too, just reduce the cooking time in half.
It will taste half as good too.
And comment below and let me know where do you get your wild, country game hen from?
1 thought on “The Desi Chicken Stew”