You are going to love this cabbage stir fry recipe. If the only thing you could possibly do with your cabbage is coleslaw, or cabbage patch dolls (by the way those cabbage patch dolls could be worth thousands if you still have one).
Sometimes, the only way to get inspired to cook for weight loss is to find simple recipes that cook in no time.
And I am not talking about all the rage cabbage soup diet that keeps resurfacing every now and then, and someone comes along and tries to prove that they lost 200 lbs on the cabbage soup diet. Ummm No. Thank You. I like cabbage, but not so much to eat -200 lbs of it!
Cabbage is one of those underrated boring foods that are often ignored. Only if you knew how to cook it like this Cabbage Stir Fry Recipe I am about to teach you!
If you want to know how good cruciferous vegetables like cabbage are for your health, check out this other article I wrote about this. Did you know eating Cabbage, Cauliflower, Broccoli and Brussel Sprouts helps prevent Cancer?
My favorite way to prepare cabbage is to make a stir-fry with a little coconut oil (like a tablespoon) and whatever veggies and protein I have on hand. It’s a super simple recipe and tastes delicious because of my stash of secret spices. I used the regular green cabbage for this meal, but any kind will do. The other types are Red, Savoy, Napa, and Bok Choy.
(Serves: A lot. Eat as much as you can and save in Lunch boxes for later)
- 1 Large head of cabbage (chopped) – 8-10 cups
- Onion (preferably red onion) finely chopped – 2 cups
- Tomatoes chopped – 1 cup
- Grated Ginger – 1 Tbsp
- Minced Garlic – 1 Tbsp
- Green Peas – 2 cups
- 3 green chilies, thinly slice lengthwise – (can increase/reduce the quantity per taste)
- Turmeric – 1 tsp
- Cayenne pepper – 1 tsp (or less as per taste)
- Ghee/Coconut or Olive oil – 3 tbsp
- Salt – to taste
- Cilantro chopped – 1 cup (for garnish)
Cumin seeds – 1 Tbsp, Mustard seeds – 1 tsp, Nigella seeds (Kalonji) – 1 tsp (optional), Fenugreek seeds – 1 tsp (optional), Asafoetida – 1 pinch (optional)
**All tempering Spices Optional. However, You will take the taste of your food to another level. As well as accelerate weight loss as well as speed up your metabolism too.
How to cook the Cabbage Stir Fry:
- Heat oil in a wide non-stick pan over medium-high heat.
- Add those tempering spices first – Cumin, Mustard, Nigella, Fenugreek, and Asafoetida. By this time you must learn to love the sizzle and aroma of these spices!
- Add onion, tomato, ginger, garlic, and green chilies (or Jalapeño) and mix for about 2-3 minutes.
- Finally, add everything else (except cilantro) and mix well.
- Cook covered for about 15-20 minutes. You may have to stir 2-3 times in between to check if done.
- Turn the heat off and garnish it with cilantro.
Serve hot with your whole grain tortillas such as these from angelic bakehouse.
In this version I have added carrots, zucchini, asparagus, mushrooms – really anything goes in this recipe.
You could also add minced turkey, chicken, beef or beyond meat in this recipe, without changing the cooking times. just add extra salt/pepper to account for taste.
Can I eat this Cabbage Stir Fry If I am counting Carbs or Calories?
Cabbage is a perfect low-carb and low-calorie vegetable if you are into carb counting or calorie counting. And whatever you are counting, you could cook and eat many variations of this cabbage recipe as much as you want without putting on weight.
Want a recipe for my secret breakfast drink to get lean in 21 days? Learn more here – Melt Away Every Last lb of Fat. Become Lean in as little as 21 days with This One Trick.
You know Murphy’s Law. It’s “If something can go wrong, it will”, but do you know Cole’s law?
Shredded Cabbage, Mayonnaise, maybe some Shredded Carrots.
~Jokes from Upjokes.
Jerry Seinfeld Experiment: Don’t break the chain. Post #48.
1 thought on “Cabbage Stir Fry Recipe with Fat Burning Spices”