I had a reader requests for a good fish curry recipe yesterday. And I had recently made fish curry with Salmon steaks, and will probably be making more soon. So here is how you make good fish curry.
Ingredients for a good fish curry:
- Some fish steaks or filet (preferably Rohu, Red Snapper, or Salmon): 2-3 lbs
- This Brown Curry Sauce : 1/2 cup [Or get a sauce like this from store – Indian Curry Sauce]
- Olive Oil: 2-3 tbsp (Or mustard oil, if you can find one. You cannot find mustard oil in USA – story for another day)
- Asafoetida: a pinch
- Cumin Seeds: 1 tsp
- Mustard Seeds: 1 tsp
- Fenugreek Seeds: 1/2 tsp
- Coriander Powder: 1 tsp
- Turmeric: 1 Tbsp
- Salt and Pepper – to taste
- Lemon juice from 1 large Lemon (Can use lime juice too)
- (Optional) Tomato Paste: 2 Tbsp
- (Optional) Coconut Milk: 1 cup
- Cilantro: 1 cup chopped. for garnishing
Here is how you cook good fish curry.
- Wash and clean the fish. If using a large filet, cut them into individual portion size.
- Season fish with salt, pepper, turmeric, and lemon juice and set aside for about 15-30 minutes.
- In a large pan, on medium-high heat, add Olive Oil. Slightly brown the fish on both sides – about 2 minutes each side is perfect. Take the fish out and set it aside on a plate or serving bowl.
- Now in the same pan add asafoetida, cumin seeds, mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, and coriander powder and stir for about 30 seconds.
- Add the Brown Curry base and Tomato Paste and mix well. Add the fish back and cook for 5-10 minutes.
- Add Coconut Milk at this time if you have it. Or add a cup of water.
- Don’t forget to garnish with lots of Cilantro.
Adding the coconut milk, and/or tomato paste or both provide variations to the taste of the curry. So if you are eating your recommended 2 servings of fish every week for the Omega 3s it is always a great idea to tweak the recipes and keep your food tasting exciting and new!
Can I cook Shrimp using this recipe?
For shrimp, follow the exact same recipe, skip the browning step in the beginning. Shrimp cooks in all of 5 minutes. Remember, the more you cook shrimp the harder it becomes.
Why should I eat fish for weight loss?
Ok. I know, I know. Fish is a bit of an odd choice for a “meat” recipe or a “curry” recipe. But believe it, or not, fish can actually be a healthy part of a weight loss diet. Fish is one of the leaner choices of Protein. Fish is also a great source of Omega 3s fatty acids that are good for both minds (Brain) and body. Other ingredients and herbs in this curry make it a perfect meal to curb hunger and keep you feeling full longer. Learn more here about brain benefits of a good fish curry here – What are some delicious foods for brain health?
None of my writings are complete without some unrelated nonsense. Here is my favorite clown fish of all. You may have to be a marine biologist to get this joke. None the less here it is.
…. Normally they don’t talk, sea cucumbers, but in a joke, everyone talks….