Search for Turmeric on the internet, and all you find is Anti Inflammatory, Anti Cancer, Anti Aging, Anti Alzheimers, Anti Dementia, Anti Depression, Anti Arthritis ..and very much so for all the right reasons. Read on to learn more about the Health Benefits of Turmeric and Pepper in fighting diseases and inflammation. Mainly Turmeric, but you will soon find out eating Turmeric by itself does not make a difference. You have to be adding Black Pepper along with Turmeric in your food in order to actually absorb the healthy compounds in Turmeric into your body.
If you reading any recipe around here, It is always loaded with Benefits of Turmeric and Black Pepper along with a selection of other spices. I will talk about other spices, another day. But the Turmeric deserves a whole entire post on its own.
I am not even entirely sure how much of the claimed health benefits are true, but given the popularity of Turmeric and the way it is marketed these days in the supplement form in tablets and capsules. I bet we have a winner here! Hey, Dr. Google said so.
I would not recommend buying Turmeric and Pepper in the Supplement form, nor sprinkling it up on your Salads raw either.
Turmeric used as a “Spice” in Food Preparation.
As a rule of thumb, If you cook any food that is savory, while you put Salt and Pepper to it. Add the Turmeric as well. That should set you for a long, healthy, and pain and inflammation free life! The only other thing you need to remember is to always use Black Pepper and Turmeric together benefits, as Pepper increases the absorption of Turmeric in your body. Read the science here.
Start with adding it to your Omelette or Soups and Stews, to begin with, to know the benefits of Turmeric and pepper. About a tsp is enough for 4-6 servings. Try this Thai Soup recipe or this Lentil Soup or my absolute favorite Okra Stir Fry recipe.
Turmeric as a Beauty Ritual – Face/Body Mask
I do not personally use this, because I have no time. But if you have time, or if you can make time and find the ingredients, make “Ubtan” – Fresh Turmeric root paste is also applied as a full-body mask (or a face mask when you are in rush) mixed along with chickpea flour, sandalwood powder, and Rosewater. I have probably done this once, ok maybe twice in my life.
What gives Turmeric its Super Powers?
Turmeric contains a compound called Curcumin. Curcumin is what gives Turmeric its exciting and powerful anti-inflammatory properties. Curcumin is a polyphenol.
Polyphenol is a fancy name for micronutrients that naturally occur in plants. Your body needs these in smaller quantities (hence “micro” in the name).
I am not playing doctor. Any advice you read on this blog cannot be used as a substitute for professional medical advice. If you are experiencing a health condition please reach out to a qualified healthcare professional. I repeat, do not use this blog as medical advice to treat yourself or others.
This Study pretty much sums up all of the superpowers of Turmeric. But here they are listing for anyone that needs any more convincing.
Benefits of Turmeric and Pepper
- Anti Oxidant
- Anti Inflammatory – Inflammation has been identified to be a contributing factor to various modern diseases such as Alzheimer’s disease (AD), Parkinson’s disease, multiple sclerosis, epilepsy, cerebral injury, cardiovascular disease, metabolic syndrome, cancer, allergy, asthma, bronchitis, colitis, arthritis, renal ischemia, psoriasis, diabetes, obesity, depression, fatigue – to name a few. Curcumin present in Turmeric is known to suppress inflammation through multiple mechanisms, hence it is effective against these diseases.
- Prevents Arthritis: Arthritis is a chronic joint condition that causes severely decreased quality of life by limiting mobility due to extreme joint pain. Besides being anti-inflammatory, Turmeric is also an analgesic (reduces pain) that helps manage arthritis pain. The study above shows that 8-12 weeks of consuming Turmeric helped reduce the arthritis symptoms in subjects.
- Metabolic Syndrome – Several common diseases related to Obesity, Diabetes, Elevated Bad Cholesterol. And Low Good Cholesterol are also caused by Inflammation. Curcumin in Turmeric improves insulin sensitivity, helps reduce blood pressure, and elevate good cholesterol. Indirectly one of the factors contributing to Obesity is also low-grade inflammation. Consuming Turmeric regularly in your diet reduces inflammation and is helpful if you are trying to eat healthy in general to lose weight.
- Anti Cancer – A separate elaborate study confirmed that Curcumin in Turmeric has anticancer effects. The study can be found here.
- Finally, Turmeric also helps manage exercise-induced inflammation and muscle soreness. Thus enhancing recovery and subsequent performance of inactive people. In addition, a relatively low dose can provide health benefits for people that do not have diagnosed health conditions.
Again, I would not recommend adding a Turmeric Supplementation in the form of a pill. But definitely try to cook your stir fry, chili, soups. And marinate meats with Turmeric, Pepper (and other spices). And try to remain healthy and live a little longer for those you love and care about!
I am sure, most of you reading this, have either ordered the fancy-schmancy Golden Milk Latte at a coffee shop or watched a celebrity influencer drink it up on their social media. I say, Hype, Much. Stick to eating Turmeric with food. DRINK ONLY WATER!
Oh that famous, Golden Milk. Picture by Sarah Gualtieri on Unsplash
Can not finish without a joke.
When I do the gardening, I alphabetise my herbs, people often ask how I find the time.
I respond with “Easy, (Time) Thyme is right between the Tarragon and Turmeric”
~As usual Source unknown. I just hope it brought you a smile!
Do you have a desk job? You sit at your desk all day and the job stresses you out. You follow through with a cycle of stress eating the first thing you get your hands on. If you want to finally lose all your excess weight and keep it off forever – without giving up great food, without sweating in the gym. Download this free ebook to learn How to start losing your “computer belly” without counting calories, dieting OR sweating in the gym.
Jerry Seinfeld Experiment: Don’t break the chain. Post #34.