This recipe might sound very unusual and counterintuitive to a lot of Indians that have been cooking Okra/bhindi for a long time.
This is really a low-touch and over-simplified and nutritious/healthy version of Okra stir fry using traditional Indian spices.
The key is that I add everything within the first 5 minutes of cooking and then cook the stir fry uncovered (just like stir fry's should be prepared).
The end result is just a heavenly accompaniment to your Rotis!
- 1Heat oil in a wide non-stick pan over medium-high heat.
- 2Add cumin, mustard, nigella, fenugreek, and asafoetida. You should hear the spices sizzle and also release the nice aroma!
- 3Immediately add onion, green chilies (or Jalapeño), okra and raw mango slices and mix evenly.
- 4Leave for about 5 minutes and then add salt, cayenne pepper and turmeric and mix well again.
- 5Cook uncovered stirring every 5 minutes until all the okra slime evaporates! Should take about 20 minutes. **this step is extremely important, otherwise, okra does get really slimy and yuck
- 6Turn the heat off and garnish with cilantro
Serve hot as a side with roti or 1/3 cup cooked steamed white rice.
A great protein pairing for this will be Roasted Chicken or Pan-seared Fish.