This Okra Stir Fry recipe might sound super unusual to anyone that has been cooking Okra/bhindi ever. But It is so simple that it would be criminal if you keep cooking Okra in your old ways. This Okra Stir Fry recipe takes under 30 minutes from start to finish. And it is not the yucky-slimy-ooey-gooey okra that everyone loves to dismiss.
And pair it with a whole-grain tortilla like this, and you have a perfectly balanced dinner ready. Perhaps add a fruit salad for dessert. Ok. Someone, Please Remind me to teach you how to make a savory fat-burning fruit salad someday!
Fun-fact for those that do not know Okra is also known as Lady’s Finger. I am not lying. Check Wikipedia. And its called “Bhindi” in “Hindi”. I was not intending for it to Rhyme, but it does. ha.
And Oh before I forget.
Want a recipe for my secret breakfast drink to get lean in 21 days? Learn more here – Melt Away Every Last lb of Fat. Become Lean in as little as 21 days with This One Trick.
So, what is the secret behind this Okra Stir Fry recipe?
This is really a low-touch and over-simplified and nutritious/healthy version of Okra stir fry using traditional Indian spices. The secret is this (or any) cast iron skillet, and dump everything in and stir, kind of stir fry recipe. I add all ingredients within the first 5 minutes of cooking and then cook the stir fry uncovered (just like stir fry’s should be prepared). The end result is just a heavenly accompaniment to your Whole Grain Wraps and Roti like never before!
These are the Ingredients you will need to make this Okra Stir Fry.
- Okra chopped and ends trimmed (like shown in the picture) – 6-8 cups
- Onion (preferably red onion) finely chopped – 3 cups
- 1 Jalapeño or 3 green chilies, thinly sliced – (can reduce the quantity if you cannot deal with spice)
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- (Optional) Nigella seeds (Kalonji) – 1/2 tsp (optional)
- (Optional) Fenugreek seeds – 1/4 tsp (optional)
- (Optional) Asafoetida – 1 pinch (optional)
- Amchoor (Dried Green Mango Powder) – 1 Tbsp.
- Turmeric – 1 tsp
- Cayenne pepper – 1/2 tsp (or less as per taste)
- Olive oil – 3-4 tbsp
- Salt And Pepper – to taste
- 1/2 cup cilantro. cleaned, chopped for garnish
And finally here is how you cook the Okra Stir Fry:
- Heat oil in a wide Cast Iron Pan pan over medium-high heat. Any other wide non stick pan or Wok will work as well.
- Add cumin, mustard, nigella, fenugreek, and asafoetida. You should hear the spices sizzle and also release an aroma!
- Immediately add onion, green chilies (or Jalapeño), okra and mix evenly.
- Stir and mix everything and in about 5 minutes add salt, cayenne pepper and turmeric and mix well again.
- Cook uncovered stirring every 5 minutes until all the okra slime evaporates! Should take about 15-20 minutes. **This step is extremely important, otherwise, okra does get really slimy and yuck**
- Turn the heat off, Sprinkle the Amchoor powder and garnish with cilantro. Mix.
Serve hot as a side with Roti, or a wrapped inside a Whole grain Tortilla or 1/3 cup cooked steamed white rice and this Curried Lentils Recipe – Easiest Lentil Recipe with Immune-Boosting Spices
If you like this Okra recipe, also check out my Roasted Okra Recipe – Crispy, Crunchy, Delicious. That should tell you how much I love Okra. Yes. I make it pretty much every week, much like the bok choy.
Jerry Seinfeld Experiment: Don’t break the chain. Post #89..
Wait for it.
Here is my Poetry of the day.
Oh My Okra, Oh My Okra, You are the reason I'm so happy, You can't imagine What you mean to meeeee Oh my Okra, Oh my Okra, How do you solve a problem like meeee - Written by AI. Admired by me.